The offering for families at Stubaier Gletscher is extraordinarily good. The BIG Family Camp is a dedicated area with a large and mellow slope served by a chairlift and four magic carpet lifts, located directly next to Restaurant Gamsgarten. This separate nursery area is also the meeting point for the Neustift ski school, with plenty of instructors ready to give children a helping hand. Next to the practice area, the Kitzlift and Mürmele chairlifts provide access to further mellow slopes.
Top offer: Kids under 10 ski for free at Stubaier Gletscher
We are in no doubt that Stubaier Gletscher is one of the most family-friendly ski areas in all of the Alps. It is worth noting that children under 10 are able to use all lifts free of charge when accompanied by a paying adult.
Simple tour around the Schaufelspitze
If the kids already have a bit of experience on two skis, you can take on this straightforward tour around the 3,333 metre Schaufelspitze which only encompasses blue-marked runs (we’ve marked this tour on the trail map included in the images for this category):
- Piste no. 4 from Restaurant Eisgrat to the Bödelehütte
- Trail 4a from the Bödelehütte to Fernau middle station
- Fernau surface lift back to the Bödelehütte
- Fernau chairlift from the Bödelehütte to Pfaffengrat
- Run no. 10 and another ride on Fernau chairlift up to Pfaffengrat (you can ski trail no. 10 as often as you like)
- Piste 5c to Gaisskarferner Lift (on Gaisskarferner you can also ski the blue-marked run no.5 as often as you like)
- From Gaisskarferner mountain station, you can take trail no. 1 or 1a back to Restaurant Eisgrat
Kindergarten, children’s restaurant, BIG Family Fun Slope and the list goes on...
The offering for families at Stubaier Gletscher is so wide-ranging that it’s difficult to list everything in one test report. The most notable family highlights are as follows:
- Two fun slopes with rollers, banked curves and obstacles (big family boardercross down from the Murmelebahn lift, and a 1 km big family fun slope served by the Eisjoch 2 lift)
- Snow groomer trips for children
- Children's restaurant for ski school children with dedicated children’s tables etc.
- Indoor kindergarten in the Gamsgarten mountain station with full-day child care
- “Comfort piste for families and people aged 50+” (broad run no. 7 on Daunferner)
- Speed trap at the end of Daunferner (run no. 7)
- And much more besides…