Coronavirus / Covid-19 Measures
- Visitor management in waiting areas (keep your distance)
- Masks mandatory at restaurants, ski rental and shops
- Staff testing on regular basis
- Corona test sites in the village
- Daily disinfection measures
The Nebelhorn cable car was rebuilt for 55 million euros. The high-capacity gondola lift will become a circulating lift with 10-seater gondolas. The new lift will open in summer 2021.
The Ski Resort
The ski resort Nebelhorn offers 13 kilometers (8 miles) of lift accessible terrain, mostly marked red. It is the highest ski resort in the Allgäu region, featuring a 2,224 m ( 7,297 ft) vertical drop. Nebelhorn is part of the ski association Oberstdorf-Kleinwalsertal.
The hot spots for families and beginners are right at the Speicherteich (water reservoir) and at Koblat. Here you find gentle blue trails. Intermediate skiers also get their money's worth: Seealpe, Nebelhorngipfel and Koblat provide plenty of choices for reds fans.
The black marked run Nebelhorn-Gipfelhang at the summit and the Seealpe Talabfahrt towards the valley are the right choice for real skiing pros. So if you want to venture down Germany's longest valley run from the Nebelhorn summit to the valley in Oberstdorf (7.5 km), you should definitely be confident on your skis. Beginners prefer to choose the ride with the gondola to get back to the valley or at least to the Seealpe. The lower part of the valley descent is then somewhat easier and only marked in red.
Since 2021, skiers on the Nebelhorn get to the Höfatsblick station with a 10-passenger gondola lift. Unlike the old aerial tramway, this one offers seats and it is also no longer necessary to change at the intermediate station. The last stretch up to the summit is then done with the large-capacity cable car Gipfelbahn.
- Oberstdorf Nebelhorn is among the 10 best rated Ski Resorts in Germany.
- Elevated between 2717 ft and 7297 ft, the Ski Resort is among the 3 highest elevated Ski Resorts in Germany. The vertical drop from summit to base is 4580 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Germany is 696 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Average snow depth during the season is 41 " at summit elevation and 8 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during March, offering an average snow depth of 49 " at summit elevation and 9 " at the base. Therefore Oberstdorf Nebelhorn is among the 3 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in Germany.
- Oberstdorf Nebelhorn features 66 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Germany is 46 sunny days. April is the sunniest month with an average of 18 sunny days.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
Countless restaurants and mountain huts welcome you to take a break from skiing. Summit restaurant Nebelhorn 2224 is one of the best places to stop, not only because of their culinary treats. Here you can feast with a view of 400 Alpine peaks. Panoramabar Gemsnest at station Höfatsblick is great for snacks, cake and coffee. You are actually able to watch your children playing while you are sitting in the Panoramabar. How? The bar is see-through and you therefore have the perfect view over the playground.
The slope to the valley is clearly the highlight. With a total length of 7.5 km (4.6 miles) it is Germany's longest base run. No visitor should miss this slope that starts at Nebelhorn and descends into the valley.
You still have energy left or you need a change from skiing? Just go for a hike on the idyllic winter hiking trails. Zeigersattel, for example, is one of the most beautiful viewpoints in the whole region. You also get a breathtaking view on the Allgäu mountain world from the Höhenpanoramaweg at the top station of gondola Nebelhornbahn.
Nebelhorn even has a 2.5 km (1.5 miles) long toboggan run. The station Seealpe is the starting point and then you just speed down the mountain to Oberstdorf.
A hotel of a different kind are the sleeping igloos. The igloo lodge welcomes you with a restaurant, bar and an event igloo. Not your everyday accommodation!
Bring the whole family to NTC park! All kinds of features and activities await. Tubes, snow bikes, air boards and snowfox are just a few of numerous features. Guaranteed fun for old and young snow fans!
Après-Ski and Nightlife
Oberstorf's bars and pubs offer an entertaining finale for your ski day. Schantossibar and Traube Winterstadel are always a good idea for Apres-ski fans. The annual winter fest at Kurpark (spa garden) has to be on your to-do list if you are into Apres-ski music.
Dining and Restaurants
Generally spoken, the focus culinary-wise is on delicacies from the Allgäu. Real gourmets will love the wide choice of excellent gourmet restaurants. Ess Atelier Strauss is always worth a reservation. The Michelin-star awarded restaurant spoils their guests with local food in an alpine and elegant design. Germany's most southern Michelin restaurant, the Maximilians restaurant, is famous for creative gourmet cooking. Tobias Eisele is chef de cuisine and the restaurant impresses with friendly, almost familiar service. The Champagne garden is another argument for making a reservation, especially if the weather allows to sit outside.
Infrastructure & Rental
Affiliate Ski SchoolsOffered Skiing Lessons Oberstdorf Nebelhorn
Affiliate ShopsSki Rentals Oberstdorf Nebelhorn (3)
- Coming from Germany take A7 to junction Allgäu. Then continue on A980 with direction Lindau to Waltenhofen and B19 to Oberstdorf. After follow signs for ´Nebelhornbahn´. At the base station you have reached your destination. Here you´ll find enough parking opportunities.
- Coming from Swiss or Vorarlberg head in direction Bregenz to Oberstaufen. Pass Immenstadt and Sonthofen to Oberstaufen from where you just follow signs for ´Nebelhornbahn´.
- Coming from Tyrol pass Innsbruck or Nassereith and Fernpass to Reutte. Continue to Sonthofen and Oberstdorf. Look for signs for ´Nebelhornbahn´.
By Public Transportation:
The Schnee-Express-Allgäu departs every Saturday and Sunday from Augsburg and Stuttgart. Coming from Nürnberg take Allgäu-Franken-Express to Oberstdorf. A bus will take you from Oberstdorf to Nebelhorn.