Coronavirus / Covid-19 Measures
- Visitor management in waiting areas (keep your distance)
- Lift tickets available online
- Masks mandatory at restaurants, ski rental and shops
- Daily disinfection measures
- Gondolas/chairlifts will load with family units/groups that are together, or with only one or 2 people.
- Face covering required while loading and unloading chairlifts and in gondolas
- Face covering required inside gondolas if you are riding with a stranger
What's new in the 2020-2021 season:
- Snowmaking expansion: 28 new automated snowguns, which use approx. 40% less energy than previous snowguns; the new snowmaking encompasses about 20 acres of terrain on Silver Bell, One and Two Leaf and upper Copper
- Additional 3 million gallon storage pond
The Ski Resort
Aspen Mountain is among theoldest ski resorts in North-America and pretty steeped in history with nearly 70 years of skiing history. That does not mean that you nowadays won´t find the latest technology for lifts and facilities. With being home to World cup races for ages, Aspen Mountain is pretty well-known for having challenging glades, bumps and steeps for expert skiers and riders on plate. Always keep in mind that Aspen Mountain has no beginner trails at all. If you are into blues and blacks then this is your spot. A total of 76 runs will please every intermediate and expert skier or rider.
By starting off with the Silver Queen Gondola you can pretty much enjoy skiing from the first minute. The lift takes you to the tippy-toppy and gives you access to some serious blue terrain. Hit trails like ´1&2 LEAF´, which start off as blues but later turn into blacks. So if you prefer more challenging trails, leave the blues behind and focus on the blacks further down the mountain. Right at the Paragliding Lanch Site, you´ll find three runs, that are designated as expert only.
The Bell Mountain Secondary lift goes parallel to the Silver Queen Gondola and takes you to an abundance of black and double black trails. The Shadow Mountain lift, starting from the base, does not take you higher than mid-mountain but from here you can ski super long blue runs like ´Lazy 8 Gully´ and ´Lower Roch Run´. If you are up for a challenge you can take the expert skiing trails ´Corkscrew Guilty´ and ´Corkscrew´. Ruthie´s High Speed Double lift takes you up to Bonnie´s on 10400 feet. Put on your skis and off you go on blue trails and expert skiing trails. A must for all tree skiing lovers!
- Offering 675 acres of slopes and terrain, Aspen Mountain is among the 10 largest Ski Resorts in the USA.
- Aspen Mountain is among the 3 best rated Ski Resorts in the USA.
- It is among the 15 most family-friendly ski Resorts in the USA.
- The vertical drop from summit to base is 3268 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in the USA is 1188 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long. The high point of the ski resort is located at an elevation of 11214 ft.
- During the season the average snow depth at Aspen Mountain is 43 ". Snow coverage is usually best during March, offering an average base depth of 50 ".
- Aspen Mountain features 91 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in the USA is 67 sunny days. January is the sunniest month with an average of 21 sunny days.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
There are quite a few mountain huts in the ski resort that are beckoning you in. Definitely pay a visit to Ajax Tavern. This one is famous for gourmet casual cuisine with a twist. Signature meals are their truffle fries and here you have a good chance of running into a few celebrities. Located at the base of the Silver Queen Gondola it´s one of the best ski-in/ski-out restaurants with sun deck.
Sundeck at the top of the Silver Queen Gondola, is an other hotspot for lunch time. The convenient cafeteria-style mountain hut offers super fresh and creative dishes. It´s actually operated by Aspen´s only five-star hotel, The Little Nell and features spectacular views from the patio. Bonnie´s is another restaurant of the grab-n-go kind and is famous for its wide variety of food. Conveniently located on the upper mid-mountain it´s great for a small break if your legs get tired. You´ll find everything on the menu, from oatmeal pancakes, pizza and even German apple strudel. Element 47 is an other great address for your lunch break.
Definitely recommendable is the Upper Little Nell that later turns into the Little Nell. This one takes you right to the valley and boasts some breathtaking views along the way.
Most Difficult Runs
You cannot list every recreational activity possible at Aspen Mountain. From biking, over hiking to fishing - you will have all options here. You can also book your personal trainer, do yoga or pilates to stay in shape or visit one of the four golf courts in the area. It´s a blast to go snowmobiling with the whole family or to go tobogganing if you prefer the more traditional way.
Shopping in Aspen town is not only for fashionistas, but you can also get some great outerwear and practical stuff for the ski trails. From book to candy stores, you will find shops for every member in the family. Movie theaters and theaters featuring Broadway stars are available as well. You see, there´s no room for boredom.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
World-famous is the pop-up Oasis champagne bar on Fridays. This is something you can´t miss while you are skiing on Aspen Mountain. Aspen is regularly ranked tops in nightlife, so it really offers something for everyone in your party. The Shadow Mountain Lodge at The St. Regis gives guests well-mixed cocktails, wines and a great beer selection from all over the world.
The J-Bar at Hotel Jerome in the town of Aspen is one of the historical places since it opened its doors in 1889 and is still well-known among seasonnaires and locals for being a good hangout for happy hour. The Escobar is a mix between a nightclub and a bar, also appreciated by both, locals and tourists. The Caribou Club is more on the sophisticated side since it´s America´s number-one private club. Outdoor events and great opening events with
famous music guests are also not unusual in Aspen.
Dining and Restaurants
You will pretty much find restaurants for all nationalities in the town of Aspen. Of course you will find a wide offer of American cuisine. Foodies will appreciate the food at the Aspen Meadows Resort where they serve the finest comfort cuisine. By using only ingredients from local famers and their own garden they can guarantee freshness. The Pinons Restaurants in downtown Aspen offers exquisite and unpretentious continental food.
Looking for a Swiss fondue? Aspen´s only French restaurant Creperie du Village serves among the cheese specialties also French Onion Sup and Duck Breast at its best. If you are craving Italian food at dinner time, check out the Acquolina Trattoria & Pizzeria, which is a formal pizzeria where you will find a fantastic menu filled with wine and Italian treats.
Flying to Aspen/ Pitkin County Airport, its´s the easiest to take a taxi outside the small airport. Landing in Eagle or Denver, you can book the Colorado Mountain Express in beforehand. Rental cars are available as well.
By car you just have to take the I-70 and after change onto the 82. Free parking is an option if you just want to stay two hours or you can show a carpool parking permit. Away from that, you´ll have cheap parking options which are about 2 Dollars an hour. The Free Skier Shuttle runs between the different ski resorts and comes free with a valid ski pass.