The Ski Resort
Thredbo is not only one of Australia's best-known ski resorts, it is also the highest. The highest lift in the "Snowies" leads to an altitude of 2,037 metres. Another superlative awaiting skiers and snowboarders are the so-called "Big 5", Australia's five longest pistes. Each of these pistes is over 3 km long. In addition, they correspond to different levels of difficulty, so that beginners, advanced skiers as well as real professionals will find the right Big 5 slope for themselves.
Beginners mainly use the Friday Flat downhill run. It has a gradient of only 12 degrees and is therefore perfect for mastering the first turns. For advanced skiers, Thredbo has by far the widest range of suitable slopes. The wide, green marked downhill runs of the Cruiser Area are also covered with artificial snow, so that nothing stands in the way of your skiing pleasure even when there is little snowfall.
The longest and steepest area in Thredbo is available for real sporty skiers. Especially freeriders get their money's worth here, as Thredbo has the best off-piste area in the southern hemisphere.
Snowboarders and freestylers can let off steam in four different snow parks in Thredbo: For small freestylers the Wombat World - Kids Park is the right area. Situated on the Friday Flat beginners slope, it offers smaller obstacles that are suitable for learning freestyle moves. Beginners are in good hands at Cruiser Park in the Cruiser Area. Absolute beginners as well as slightly advanced players will find less demanding boxes and jumps here. Advanced park riders can also use the Thredbo Super Park, located on the lower half of The Supertrail, Australia's longest downhill run.
- Offering 1186 acres of slopes and terrain, Thredbo is among the 3 largest Ski Resorts in Australia.
- Thredbo is the the best rated ski resort in Australia.
- Elevated between 4478 ft and 6683 ft, the Ski Resort is the highest elevated Ski Resorts in Australia. The vertical drop from summit to base is 2205 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Australia is 820 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Snow coverage is usually best during September, offering an average base depth of 80 ". This makes Thredbo the ski resort with the best snow conditions in Australia.
- Thredbo features 45 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Australia is 38 sunny days. July is the sunniest month with an average of 14 sunny days. This makes the ski resort one of the 3 sunniest in Australia.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
If you arrive by plane, you will land at Canberra Airport. This is about 2.5 hours by car from Thredbo. Shuttle buses run from the airport to the ski area.