- Offering 902 acres of slopes and terrain, Mt Hutt is among the 10 largest Ski Resorts in New Zealand.
- Mt Hutt is among the 10 best rated Ski Resorts in New Zealand.
- Elevated between 4718 ft and 6844 ft, the Ski Resort is among the 5 highest elevated Ski Resorts in New Zealand. The vertical drop from summit to base is 2126 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in New Zealand is 1545 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Season starts on Jun 12 and ends on Oct 11 (121 days). Average season duration in New Zealand is 82 days.
- Snow coverage is usually best during September, offering an average snow depth of 80 " at summit elevation and 52 " at the base. Therefore Mt Hutt is among the 5 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in New Zealand.
- Mt Hutt features 42 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in New Zealand is 27 sunny days. September is the sunniest month with an average of 17 sunny days. This makes the ski resort one of the 5 sunniest in New Zealand.
The Ski Resort
Mt Hutt is located about 80 km west of Christchurch, New Zealand, rising to the west of the Canterbury Plains in the South Island. Mt Hutt is home to the largest skiable terrain in the South Island with 3.65 square km. Offering excellent beginner skiing with a magic carpet and beginner area, good intermediate and advanced trails as well as outstanding designated black runs and large off-piste areas, the ski resort caters for the needs of both ski novices and avid skiers.
Ever Heard of Mount Shut?
Receiving about 4m of average snowfall per year, the season lasts from June to October with its access road being closed every now and then, giving the ski area the nickname Mount Shut. Along with Coronet Peak and The Remarkables, Mt Hutt is managed by NZSki. Three lifts, a slow zone, four freestyle terrain parks, more than 20 designated black runs, 4 advanced trails, 11 intermediate runs, and 4 beginner runs make for great days on the slopes with plenty of variety on offer.
Neat Dining Options
When you've worn yourself out with your adventure-of-choice for the day, there are cozy options to keep you occupied and full: Mt Hutt offers two great dining options, both located in the main base building. The Sky High Café is your go-to for fast and easy meals such as pizza, burgers, sandwiches, sushi, salads and excellent coffee. Huber's Hut is for those looking for comfort, who love to dine inside in front of the fire or outside on the sun deck. Homemade soups, pasta, mulled wine and hot chocolate are calling your name.