- The vertical drop from summit to base is 960 m. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Austria is 720 m. Most runs are therefore relatively long. The high point of the ski resort is located at an elevation of 1,887 m.
- Flachau is among the 5 best rated Ski Resorts in Salzburg.
- Season starts on 2 Dec and ends on 8 Apr (127 days). Average season duration in Austria is 118 days.
- Average snow depth during the season (2 Dec to 8 Apr) is 122 cm at summit elevation and 57 cm at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during February, offering an average snow depth of 145 cm at summit elevation and 73 cm at the base.
- Flachau features 74 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Austria is 73 sunny days. March is the sunniest month with an average of 21 sunny days. This makes the ski resort one of the 10 sunniest in Salzburg.
- Offering 56 km of slopes and terrain, Flachau is among the 10 largest Ski Resorts in Salzburg.
The Ski Resort
Snow space Flachau is part of the Ski amadé ski region and is around 60 kilometres from Salzburg. Flachau is a particularly popular ski area for families. Young and old alike can let off some steam across 150 hectares of varied terrain. The ski area has three different lift stations in the valley, distributing the volume of people effectively on busy days.
Beginners will find plenty of practice lifts close to the valley stations, such as the piggyjet and dinojet. There are also lots of runs within the ski area itself which are easy for beginners to circumnavigate, such as starjet 2 and spacejet 3. However, the ski area is dominated by numerous red-marked groomers which are perfect for carving to your heart’s content.
If you want to put your abilities to the test, you can even try your hand at the World Cup course and measure yourself against the clock. With a little luck, you might even see some real professionals training here, as Flachau is not only home to ski superstar Hermann Maier, but also the training centre for Austrian ski racers.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
From cosy Alpine lodges to modern mountain restaurants, Flachau just about has it all. Lisa Alm, right next to the spacejet 2 run, combines a romantic lodge atmosphere with stylish lounge elements. If you like it extravagant and unusual, then this is the place for you. One truly cosy lodge is the Pfeiffei Alm next to starjet 1. And if you’re only looking for a quick break, look no further than Schonzeit or Purzelbaum Alm.
For many, the number one highlight in Flachau is the Hermann Maier World Cup Course.
Most Difficult Runs
And there is plenty to do besides skiing in Flachau. There are no less than five sled runs of varying lengths here, as well as an Alpine Coaster, the “Lucky Flitzer”, which offers a white-knuckle ride with five huge loops and two rollers. And it goes without saying that the region also offers plenty of classic winter activities like winter hikes, horse-drawn sleighs and even curling. If you want to try something completely new, then opt for a Segway or snow zorbing. And after all that action in the cold snow, there can be no better place to unwind than in Therme amadé.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
Flachau is the party centre of the Ski amadé region. From cocktail lounges to discos with hot beats and the classical umbrella bars – the town has it all. The most popular spots include the Dampfkessel at the valley station of spacejet I, the Fliegenpilz umbrella bar at the achterjet base station and Zum Zottl at the starjet valley station. The logical next steps in town are Ema’s Pub, Yeti’s Partyhouse and Almrausch.
Dining and Restaurants
And what would a ski break be without great food? Luckily you don’t have to go far to find delicious dishes in Flachau, with Restaurant Possruck and Berggasthof Sattelbauer highly recommended. Expect lovingly prepared, traditional Austrian fare at both. If you’d prefer Mediterranean delights,
Infrastructure & Rental
Ski Rental Shops
Flachau is easy to reach via the Tauernautobahn A 10. Take exit 66 Flachau and follow the signs to one of the three valley stations.