- Elevated between 1378 ft and 2953 ft, the Cross-Country Skiing Area is among the 3 highest elevated Cross-Country Skiing Areas in Thuringia.
- Snow coverage is usually best during February, offering an average snow depth of 8 " at summit elevation and 6 " at the base. Therefore Tabarz Inselsberg is among the 3 cross-Country Skiing Areas with best snow conditions in Thuringia.
The Cross-Country Area
Around Tabarz there are many ski and cross-country trails. If there is enough snow, cross-country skiers can run directly from Tabarz to the Rennsteig, where you can find more cross-country trails. If you don't want to go uphill, you can start directly on the Rennsteig from the "Kleiner Inselsberg" car park, e.g. in the direction of Brotterode and Oberhof. Most of the trails are prepared for the classic style. Skaters will find two easy rounds.
The Most Beautiful Tracks
- Rundloipe Datenbergwiese: 1,3 km - easy - classic/Skating
- Loipe rund ums Gehege: 2,9 km - easy - classic/Skating
- Loipe auf der Datenbergpromenade: 2,2 km - medium - classic
- Heuberghaus - Tanzbuche: 5,2 km - medium - classic
- Finsterbergen Spießberg: 8,6 km - medium - classic
- Seimberg-Loipe: 5,7 km - medium - classic
- Rennsteig Etappe 2 Gr. Dreiherrenstein-Grenzwiese: 5,5 km - medium - classic
- Rennsteig Etappe 3 Grenzwiese-Possenröder Kreuz: 6,7 km - medium - classic
- Rundloipe Tabarz Tanzbuche: 8,7 km - difficult - classic
- Kalte-Heide-Loipe: 7,5 km - difficult - classic
Bad Tabarz is located between Eisenach and Ilmenau at the B88.