Coronavirus / Covid-19 Measures
- Lift access only for vaccinated or recovered persons which ALSO have to show a current negative test
- FFP2 masks mandatory in cable cars and indoor facilities
- Physical distancing in indoor facilities and waiting areas
- Access to hotels or restaurants for vaccinated or recovered persons only
- Daily disinfection measures
The Ski Resort
Fellhorn-Kanzelwand is part of the bicountry ski area of Oberstdorf Kleinwalsertal, and features around 36km/22mi of slopes, including two valley runs. Beginners and returners in particular will enjoy the runs here. But more experienced winter sportsmen also find some challenges: around 20km/12mi of intermediate runs, blacks, a mogul run, and a trail where you can measure your speed are demanding even for pros. The slopes are serviced by 14 lifts.
If you are looking for diversion, the two terrain parks are certainly the place to go. Easypark and Fellhorn Funslope, a special fun area for freestyle novices, guarantee lots of fun and action in the snow. Beginner sections specially designed to practise your first jumps provide the ideal start into park riding. CrystalGround is located at the Kanzelwand base area. Here you can find lines for more experienced and advanced freestylers. Look forward to diverse events, sessions, and a floodlight session every Wednesday.
- Offering 22 miles of slopes and terrain, Fellhorn Kanzelwand is among the 5 largest Ski Resorts in Germany.
- Fellhorn Kanzelwand is among the 15 best rated Ski Resorts in Germany.
- Elevated between 3018 ft and 6453 ft, the Ski Resort is among the 5 highest elevated Ski Resorts in Germany. The vertical drop from summit to base is 3435 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Germany is 696 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Average snow depth during the season is 32 " at summit elevation and 8 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during March, offering an average snow depth of 41 " at summit elevation and 10 " at the base. Therefore Fellhorn Kanzelwand is among the 3 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in Germany.
- Fellhorn Kanzelwand features 57 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Germany is 38 sunny days. March is the sunniest month with an average of 15 sunny days.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
Five mountain huts and restaurants invite you to take a break from winter sports and tend to your culinary needs.
Adlerhorst is only a few minutes' walk away from the top station of Kanzelwandbahn. The hut with its large sun deck, Austrian flair, and beautiful panoramic view, serves plain but delicious food.
Hammerspitz-Bar on Kanzelwand boasts regional produce and daily changing soups and regional specialities, also vegetarian.
The panorama restaurant by Kanzelwand top station offers strudels and Austrian desserts. They are expecially lovely eaten on the terrace with free deckchairs. Restaurant Fellhorn at the mid station features an extensive selection of hearty and sweet fare; the home-made cakes make for a perfect dessert.
Summit restaurant Fellhorn spoils its guests with regional delicacies as well. Snacks and smaller meals are on offer at Balzplatz by the base station of Möser six-person chair.
Most Difficult Runs
Cross-country skiers find 75km/47mi of classic and 55km/34mi of skating tracks all around the ski resort. Another opportunity to explore the snowy winter landscape is on a winter hike.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
To finish your skiing day right, you can go to the umbrella bar Kanzelwandbahn or Fellhorn for a drink and cool music. On the weekend,umbrella bar 'Die Plattform' in Riezlern, one of the biggest umbrella bars in Austria, invites you to party. Schantossibar of Gasthof zur Traube in Oberstdorf is also a good option. Furthermore, there are several more cosy bars and pubs for a quiet end to your day.
Dining and Restaurants
Gourmets will get their money's worth at the Austrian section of the ski resort. In Riezlern, the charming Humbachstuben at Alpengasthof Jäger boasts 2 awards at Gault Millau 2014 for creativity, culinary art, and quality. Fresh and seasonal ingredients are used here to make delicious regional meals.
Genussgasthof Sonnenburg is another culinary highlight. The restaurant got 81 points at Falstaff Restaurant Guide 2014, and was awarded the AMA-Gastrosiegel, which stands for awareness of local tradition and quality. Visitors can enjoy traditional Austrian fare on a high level.
Infrastructure & Rental
Affiliate Ski SchoolsOffered Skiing Lessons Fellhorn Kanzelwand
Affiliate ShopsSki Rentals Fellhorn Kanzelwand (7)
The ski resort is easily accessible from Germany. From Memmingen, follow motorway A7 to Kempten im Allgäu. Then, follow B19 via Waltenhofen, Immenstadt and Sonthofen to Oberstdorf.
Coming from Munich, take A96 to Memmingen and then proceed as explained above.
Coming from Austria, follow Inntalautobahn A12 to Mötz, then change onto B189 via Barwies. In Nassreith, change onto B179 and drive to Pinswang via Lermoos and Breitenwang. Cross the border and follow motorway A7 to Kempten im Allgäu. Follow the directions above.
The nearest airport is located in Memmingen. Trains call at Oberstdorf, where the base station of the ski resort is located.