Host of the FIS Ski World Cup from February 27 to 28, 2021 (Mens' Giant Slalom)
The Ski Resort
Bansko is one of the most important and most popular ski resorts in Bulgaria and Eastern Europe. Thanks to a number of investments in the last two decades, the South Bulgarian town is equipped with modern and comfortable infrastructure. The resort is situated at the foot of the Pirin Mountains, a UNESCO World Heritage site, boasting a unique location. When the weather is good, skiers are sometimes able to enjoy views all the way across to the Aegean Sea.
A gondola takes you uphill from Bansko. At the mid station, you find Chalin Valog pistes (#15 and #16). Take the gondola a little further to get to the majority of the runs. Once you have made it to the top, a variety of different slopes is waiting for you.
Beginners find a range of blue runs alongside lift Shiligarnik. Changing onto lift Plato, you get to the resort's highest point at an elevation of 2,600 metres (approx. 8530 ft.), where a stunning view awaits you. There are beginner's runs (#3 and #11) all the way down to the base station. Furthermore, slope #11 features a funpark for freestylers.
Looking for a challenge? Take one of the Banderitza lifts. They lead to intermediate runs at Todorka. Banderitza's mid station is where Tomba run (#9) starts. Over the course of 2.5 or 1.2 kilometres (approx. 1.55 or .74 miles), it is taxing even for expert skiers. No wonder - it is named after Italian skier Alberto Tomba.
- Offering 43 miles of slopes and terrain, Bansko is the largest ski resort in Bulgaria.
- Bansko is the the best rated ski resort in Bulgaria.
- Elevated between 3071 ft and 8530 ft, the Ski Resort is the highest elevated Ski Resorts in Bulgaria. The vertical drop from summit to base is 5459 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Bulgaria is 3084 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Season starts on Dec 17 and ends on Apr 11 (115 days). Average season duration in Bulgaria is 97 days.
- Average snow depth during the season (Dec 17 to Apr 11) is 60 " at summit elevation and 19 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during March, offering an average snow depth of 80 " at summit elevation and 31 " at the base. This makes Bansko the ski resort with the best snow conditions in Bulgaria.
- Bansko features 73 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Bulgaria is 70 sunny days. January is the sunniest month with an average of 24 sunny days. This makes the ski resort one of the 1 sunniest in Bulgaria.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
Bansko offers six different dining facilities. At 180° near Shiligarnika you will find Bulgarian as well as international dishes. If you fancy Italian food, check out VIP Room.
Black Tomba run (#9) is a special challenge.
The valley run (#1) at Banderishka is illuminated for nightskiing. Just like 80 percent of the resort's pistes, it is equipped with snow making machines - so there is nothing to stop you!
For a new perspective on Bansko's slopes, try paragliding from "Plato 1" piste at Todorka's peak. Another way to explore the wintery landscape is on a snowmobile. Furthermore, Bansko features to an indoor ice rink. Go for a skate with musical backdrop until 10 pm daily.
The town itself is also worth a visit. Next to the modern hotel buildings, you find various houses of over 100 years old, depicting the region's traditional architecture. Attractions include "Nikola Vaptsarov" museum, the orthodox church "Sveta Troitsa", and the old monastery. Moreover, Bansko is a spa town with a range of opportunities to relax and unwind after a long day on the slopes.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
If you want to spend the night at a pub, you are spoilt for choice. At Lions Pub, sports events are shown on seven different screens, and a DJ takes care of the atmosphere. London Pub's motto is "walk in and dance out". JJ Murphy's is only five minutes away from the gondola. Moreover, there are bars like Bash Bar, Graphite or Track Bar. To turn the night into day, visit Disco Oxygen.
Dining and Restaurants
Gourmets should not miss out on a visit at one of the so called "Mehanas" Bansko is known for. These restaurants offer traditional Bulgarian food and drinks. Items on the menu include Kapama (a variety of meat with cabbage), Sache, or Chomlek (crock pot stew). Motikita and Todeva House are popular locations.
Take A1 southbound from Sofia to Morovo, then change onto Route 8. Drive until Belovo and turn onto Route 842. At Razlog, change to Route 19 which will lead you Bansko.
Sofia Airport is approximately 2.5 hours away from Bansko.