The Cross-Country Area
The cross-country skiing area La Chapelle d'Abondance is part of the cross-country skiing area "Abondance, Châtel and La Chapelle d' Abondance", which comprises a cross-country skiing network of more than 30 kilometres.
The cross-country trails in the French winter sports resort of La Chapelle d'Abondance are suitable for both demanding and less experienced athletes. With a total of 23 kilometres of trails for classic cross-country skiing and skating, the resort offers the largest selection in the region. There is also a biathlon stadium in La Chapelle d'Abondance, which visitors can use for a small fee. The ESF ski school offers introductory courses to learn the correct technique and how to use the laser gun.
The Most Beautiful Tracks
Beginners who want to try cross-country skiing can choose between the 1.8-kilometre Boucle de la Fruitière circular trail or the 1-kilometre Boucle dìnitation. Those who already have experience with cross-country skis can explore the valley on the 9-kilometre Grand Circuit trail. It leads to the village of Pont du Moulax, where the start of the challenging Le Moulaz trail is located.
Overview of the trails in the La Chapelle d'Abondance cross-country centre:
- Boucle des Plagnes (trail 3): 3 km / marked blue (medium)
- Boucle de la Fruitière (trail 4): 1,8 km / green marked (easy)
- Boucle dìnitation (trail 4b): 1 km / green marked (easy)
- Boucle de la Panthiaz (trail 5): 2,3 km / marked blue (medium)
- Boucle de Moulin (trail 6): 4,3 km / marked red (difficult)
- Grand Circuit (trail 7): 9 km / red marked (difficult)
- Le Moulaz (trail 9): 1,9 km / black marked (very difficult)
- Corne Noire (trail 8): 2.4 km / marked red (difficult)
- Richebourg (trail 2): 5 km / marked orange (also accessible for snowshoe hikers and pedestrians).
- La Chapelle d Abondance is among the 3 best rated Cross-Country Skiing Areas in France.
- The cross-Country skiing area takes you to an elevation of 3976 ft.
- Average snow depth during the season is 39 " at summit elevation and 12 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during February, offering an average snow depth of 48 " at summit elevation and 15 " at the base.
- La Chapelle d Abondance features 45 sunny days on average per season. The average for all cross-Country Skiing Areas in France is 41 sunny days. February is the sunniest month with an average of 22 sunny days.
From Geneva, you can reach La Chapelle-d'Abondance via the Quai Cologny road and and the Route de Thonon. Cross the border into France and follow the D1005 to Thonon-les-Bains, then take the D21 to Vinzier. Then follow the D32 to Arce and finally the D22 to La Chapelle-d'Abondance.