- Offering 287 acres of slopes and terrain, Whiteface Mountain is among the 5 largest Ski Resorts in New York.
- Whiteface Mountain is among the 5 best rated Ski Resorts in New York.
- Elevated between 1220 ft and 4649 ft, the Ski Resort is the highest elevated Ski Resorts in New York. The vertical drop from summit to base is 3428 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in the USA is 1188 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Season starts on Nov 16 and ends on Mar 15 (120 days). Average season duration in the USA is 111 days.
- Average snow depth during the season (Nov 16 to Mar 15) is 35 " at summit elevation and 22 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during March, offering an average snow depth of 48 " at summit elevation and 32 " at the base. This makes Whiteface Mountain the ski resort with the best snow conditions in New York.
- Whiteface Mountain features 37 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in the USA is 50 sunny days. February is the sunniest month with an average of 12 sunny days.
The Ski Resort
Ski where the best meet and compete! Whiteface was the site of the Winter Olympic Games in 1980 and offers terrific conditions for various winter sports.
Skiers and riders have access to more than 90 hectares of skiable terrain with 86 trails for all skill levels. However, there are an additional 14 hectares of in-bounds, off-piste double black diamond trails called "The Slides". This is expert only terrain and only accessible hiking there from the summit. Yet, if you´re looking for a unique experience it is defintely worth the effort! Moreover, over 20 hectares of tree skiing terrain is available. To cut a long story short: Whiteface is a freeskier's paradise!
Nevertheless, the resort can also be enjoyed by families and beginners. There is a separate beginner area that provides easiest trails only. It is equipped with a triple chair lift starting from the Easy Acres Family Center as well as a magic carpet. However, if you're a little more experienced don't miss out on a ride up to the summit. Stop and take in the panoramic views of the Adirondack Mountains. Furthermore, Whiteface has a fantastic terrain park with features for all skill levels. However, its majority is desgined for intermediate and expert park riders.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
Whiteface not only offers perfect conditions for winter sports, it also caters to your every culinary need. At Base Camp Market, you will find gourmet soups, chili, pizza, sandwiches, wraps, burgers, and more. Grab & Go options are also available. J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines Cafe & Wine Bar has a focus on regional ingredients and offers an exquisite selection of wines.
Black Bear Lodge is home to two perfect spots where kids can meet their parents and recharge after a day at the ski school: Black Bear Cafe and Growler's Grill. For lunch in a relaxing atmosphere, check out Boule's Bistro. Mid-Station Lodge offers traditional mountain fare.
Whiteface's latest addition is Taste NY Cafe. Dishes made from regional ingredients are paired with local beer on tap. You even get WiFi and the opportunity to charge your electronics. Got a bit of a sweet tooth? Look up Waffle Cabin and treat yourself to one of their amazing waffle creations.
Most Difficult Runs
Activities at Whiteface Mountain are not limited to downhill skiing and snowboarding. In fact, Whiteface offers almost every winter activity you can imagine! If you're looking for that adrenaline rush, try snowtubing, bobsled or skeleton. For something a bit more peaceful, there is cross-country skiing or ice skating. Another interesting activity could be a tour of the Olympic Jumping Complex.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
At Cloudspin Bar & Grill you get typical après ski fare as well as a large selection of drinks. J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines Cafe & Wine Bar has wines to go with every dish or personal taste. They also feature delicious desserts to treat yourself after a long day on skis.
Infrastructure & Rental
Whiteface Mountain is within a two hours' drive of three major airports: Albany, NY; Burlington, VT; and Montreal, Quebec. Car rentals and busses are available to get you to the ski resort in a timely manner.