Wasserkuppe´s first ski lift was opened in 1963. Much has happened since then, the offer extended by four ski facilities and it became the leading ski resort in Hesse.
Altogether five slopes await you here. The blue trails with charming names like ´Paradiso´ and ´Märchenwiese´ (´Fairytale grassland´) are considered to be optimal for beginners. The ´Paradiso´ trail starts at the top station of ski tow ´Paradiso´. The ´Märchenwiese´ tow gives you access to the trail with the same name.
Wasserkuppe provides three red slopes for more intermediate skiers. The Panorama slope starts at the top station of the Panorama ski tow and brings you to the valley station. The family slope ´Abtsroda´ starts at the top station of the ski tow ´Abtroda´ and you can pretty much ski down right to the valley Abtsroda. The slope ´Abtsrode-Backtrog´ is red, partly black and brings you, again, from the top station of the Abtsroda connecting lift down to the valley Abtsroda.
But even experts are not without their runs. There are two trails that are mostly categorized black. The Panorama trail appears black in the lower third and the trail ´Abtsrode-Backtrog´ offers black parts in the upper half.
Snowboarder and Freestyler can practice new moves and after present their new skills in the half-pipe rails. The terrain park is located at the blue slope ´Märchenwiese´, just grab the ski tow ´Märchenwiese´ to get there.
Youngsters can stay at the ski kindergarten ´Märchenland´. Here kids discover the joys of winter sports with help of professional childcare. The training slope provides 100 meters (328 ft) practice area and the magic carpet carries them back up the mountain.
Hungry during your ski adventures? ´Märchenwiesenhütte´, that claims itself for being the ´most inexpensive destination restaurant in Germany´, welcomes for a break. Fill up with new strength and energy while you spoil yourself with refreshing snacks and beverages.
Trails, you shouldn´t miss
Most runs that bring you back to the base are pretty winding. For experienced skiers: In order to avoid being unchallenged switch to the slopes ´Panorama´ and ´Abtsrode-Backtrog´, these are partly black.
Consider toboggan runs for a thrilling change from skiing. The run at Wasserkuppe offers 800 meters (2624 ft) of excitement and it´s serviced by the toboggan lift ´Wieli´. Expect some curves on the ride from top station to valley station.
Take higway A7 towards Würzburg/Kassel. Exit Fulda Mitte and follow the direction for Dipperz. Pass the town, then just follow signs for Abtsroda/ Poppenhausen up to the parking lane at Wasserkuppe.
- Elevated between 820 m and 930 m, the ski resort is the highest elevated ski resorts in Hesse. The vertical drop from summit to base is 110 m. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of ski resorts in Germany is 236 m. Runs and slopes are therefore relatively short.
- The day pass at Wasserkuppe is €15 making it one of the 5 cheapest ski resorts in Hesse.
- Wasserkuppe is among the 3 best rated ski resorts in Hesse.
- Snow coverage is usually best during March, offering an average base depth of 8 cm. Therefore Wasserkuppe is among the 3 ski resorts with best snow conditions in Hesse.
- Offering 3 km of slopes and terrain, Wasserkuppe is among the 5 largest ski resorts in Hesse.