- Elevated between 1417 ft and 4236 ft, the Ski Resort is among the 3 highest elevated Ski Resorts in Maine. The vertical drop from summit to base is 2822 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in the USA is 1184 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Sugarloaf USA is the the best rated ski resort in Maine.
- Season starts on Nov 16 and ends on May 5 (170 days). Average season duration in the USA is 118 days.
- Average snow depth during the season (Nov 16 to May 5) is 0 " at summit elevation and 0 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during March, offering an average snow depth of 39 " at summit elevation and 0 " at the base. Therefore Sugarloaf USA is among the 3 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in Maine.
- Sugarloaf USA features 71 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in the USA is 76 sunny days. March is the sunniest month with an average of 17 sunny days.
- Offering 1238 acres of slopes and terrain, Sugarloaf USA is the largest ski resort in Maine.
News Winter Season 2018/2019
- Sugarloaf is set to host the 2019 U.S. Alpine Speed Championships.
The Ski Resort
Sugarloaf is located at Carrabassett Valley surrounded by Maine's Western Mountains. On over 260 hectares of skiable terrain it offers a great variety of fantastic trails that meets even highest expectations. You have the choice: opt for a relaxing cruise on Timberline or seek out Sugarloaf´s double black diamond trail, Haulback, for more of a challenge. All in all Sugarloaf offers 139 great trails that leave nothing to be desired.
Sugarloaf combines amazing skiing with fantastic views. Take a ride to the summit and feel like you're on the top of the world. In good weather conditions, you get views of Vermont, Canada, Mount Katahdin and New Hampshire.
Enjoy this unique scenery before you take off into the snowfields. Sugarloaf has redesigned its freestyle terrain in the 2008 season. Now you'll find 3 terrain parks each designed for a different ability level as well as a boardercross training course and a huge superpipe. Whether it is your first day on snow or you're a seasoned winter enthusiast, the Turn Ski & Snowboard School has a programme for you. Experienced instructors will help you enhance your skills.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
Nobody has to hit the slopes hungry at Sugarloaf, there are tons of dining options. Ski to Bullwinkle's Bistro for American fare with a stunning view. For a hearty lunch in a quiet atmosphere, go to Bull Moose Café at the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center. The Base Lodge is the place to go to grab a quick snack.
Right next to Burton Signature Store you find Black Diamond Burritos, where burritos are made fresh to your taste. To satisfy the sweeter cravings, treat yourself at Urban Sugar Donuts. A nice cup of coffee and other hot drinks can be found at Java Joe's.
Sugarloaf also has a fantastic Outdoor Center that is home to Maine's largest Nordic Center. It offers cross-country skiing as well as snowshoeing on 90 km of tracked and groomed trails. If you're looking for more action you can try fat biking or cat skiing.
Enough outdoors already? Sugarloaf has its own gym where you can get a great workout or simply relax in a hot tub.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
The party hotspot at Sugarloaf is Widowmaker. Right above Base Lodge, it has 16 beers on tap and live entertainment every Saturdays. If you fancy a pub atmosphere, check out Shipyard BrewHaus. For a typical American night out, go to The Rack BBQ. Besides seafood and pasta you get all kinds of grilled treats as well as live entertainment.
Dining and Restaurants
Friends of fine dining will also feel at home at Sugarloaf. 45 North at Sugarloaf Hotel has excellent wine and cocktail menues to go along with dishes made of fresh and regional ingredients. For a special experience you should book Bullwinkle's At Night. A snow cat gets you up to the restaurant, where you may expect an international multi-course menue by candlelight.
Infrastructure & Rental
To get to Sugarloaf you can fly to Portland, Boston, or Bangor. Transfer services and car rentals are available at the airports.