- Extension of the reservoir and more snow cannons
- New sport shop and service center at the base station
- The vertical drop from summit to base is 1,125 m. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of ski resorts in Austria is 741 m. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Season starts on 8 Dec and ends on 21 Apr (134 days). Average season duration in Austria is 116 days.
- Average snow depth during the season (8 Dec to 21 Apr) is 91 cm at summit elevation and 73 cm at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during March, offering an average snow depth of 154 cm at summit elevation and 117 cm at the base.
- St Jakob im Defereggental features 71 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski resorts in Austria is 63 sunny days. December is the sunniest month with an average of 20 sunny days. This makes the ski resort one of the 5 sunniest in Tyrol.
Information on the ski resort St Jakob im Defereggental
St. Jakob in Defereggental is situated right in the center of the national park ´Hohe Tauern´ and is ideal for those looking for a resort that is more relaxing and away from mass tourism, it is especially known as family-friendly. Thanks to the fact that it is manageable in size, no one will be lost in the resort. It boasts 7 lifts. Right at the base-station you can find a training lift in a small kids park plus two more ski lifts that accommodate beginners in particular. For altitude-fans: take the rail ´Brunnalmbahn´. Up here you find many red trails for enjoyable carving around the rail ´Weißspitzbahn´, the lift ´Almspitz´ and the mountain railway ´Moosbergbahn´. Here there are, however, some blue trails, as an example of many other serves the slope No. 2, that leads from the top station of the rail ´Weißspitzbahn´ to the middle station of the rail ´Brunnalmbahn´.
Close to the rail ´Moosbergbahn´ is a terrain park with a wide variety of obstacles, designed to make a Freestyler´s pulse race. Right next to it look for the ´WISBI´ (= How fast am I?) slope, where you can actually test how fast you are on your skiers for only 1€ .
St. Jakob in Defereggental is not really well-known as a Freeride area, even though some Freeride movies were filmed here, such as the O`Neill Pro Tour. Anyone who is willing to carry the equipment up the mountain will find great lines.
On Mountain Dining
The resort offers casual as well as gourmet on mountain dining options to please every palate. The restaurants ´Brunnalm´ and ´Mooseralm´ provide the necessary refreshments with their delicious dishes and also the ´Weißspitzstubn´ and the ´Eggerhütte´ directly at the valley slope leave nothing to be desired. Warm yourself while eating a hot meal at ´Feistritzstüberl´ or ´Weißenhütterl´, situated in the area of the training lifts.
Above all the pleasant long valley slope is a pure enjoyment if the snow conditions are appropriate.
Video about St Jakob im Defereggental
St. Jakob features a toboggan run, starting point is at the ´Alpe Stalle´ where the drop is 1714 meters. A stop here is always well worthwhile because the alp maintains their original charm.
In addition you will find many cross-country trails, particularly recommendable is the high trail Staller Sattel: 8 kilometers of beautiful white nature at an high altitude of 2000 m.
Fine Dining and Restaurants
If you like gourmet dining and amazing food you found the right place in Defereggental! Many restaurants offer the typical Eastern Tyrolean cuisine. The ´Jesacherhof´ for example has been awarded with a Gault Milaut bonnet several years ago. ´Kulinarium´ at the hotel ´Zedern Klang´ in the neighboring Hopfgarten even got awarded with two bonnets. More traditional cuisine offers the restaurant ´Alpenrose´, located at the end of the valley and the ´Sandwirt´ also impresses with original Tyrolean treats.
Take E54 to Kiefersfelden with direction Kufstein and leave it at the last exit before the border (Kiefersfelden). Now follow the signs for the street Felbertauernstraße, follow the street until Eastern Tyrol and St. Jakob.
Take the train to Lienz, either pass Bozen and Brixen or Spittal. There is a regular bus(Postbus) to St. Jakob.