Coronavirus / Covid-19 advices
- Masks mandatory in cable cars
The ski area on the Schnals Glacier has been given a new international name for the start of the 2021/2022 ski season and is now called "Alpin Arena Schnals Senales".
The Ski Resort
The glacier ski area in the Schnals Valley (Val Senales), located on the border between Austria and Italy, reaches up to over 3251 metres and offers winter sports enthusiasts over 40 kilometres of slopes between September and May. The Alpin Arena Schnals is the ideal starting point for downhill runs of all levels. Not far from the ski area, the famous Ötzi glacier mummy was found in September 1991. The snowfield can be seen very well from the new viewing platform "Iceman Ötzi Peak" at the top station of the glacier cable car.
From the cable car valley station with its large car park in Kurzras, skiers can reach the mountain station on the Schnals Glacier comfortably in just a few minutes by cable car. In the high alpine Schnals, where numerous national teams also train, active skiers can take advantage of a range of slopes of all levels of difficulty, including wide carving slopes as well as a challenging 8 km long downhill run. Professional winter sports enthusiasts can expect up to 40 training runs on the sun-drenched glacier and a cross-country trail between 5 and 10 km long for high-altitude training.
For beginners, the two blue-marked slopes from the Finailjoch are an absolute highlight. The runs lead down to the valley station of chairlift no. 6 below the glacier cave. There are also two short beginner slopes at the practice lifts at the valley station. Advanced skiers will enjoy the red marked slope from Punta della Cedretta at an altitude of 3,289 metres. Another worthwhile descent is the slope from the Hotel Grawand to the valley station of chairlift no. 6. Real pros and sporty skiers stay on the challenging slopes leading down from the top station of chairlifts 6 and 8.
Little skier are in good hands in the kids park at the valley station. Here they are looked after by trained staff and can build snowmen undisturbed and let off steam in the winter playground. On the neighbouring practice slope, the ski school teaches children from the age of four how to enjoy winter sports. Children who are already confident on skis can explore the ski area with their parents. They benefit from the Snowkids Ticket: for only 4 euros, kids accompanied by a parent can ski all day long.
- Schnalstal Glacier - Alpin Arena Senales is among the 15 best rated Ski Resorts in Italy.
- Elevated between 6598 ft and 10666 ft, the Ski Resort is among the 5 highest elevated Ski Resorts in Italy. The vertical drop from summit to base is 4068 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Italy is 2733 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Average snow depth during the season is 59 " at summit elevation and 19 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during April, offering an average snow depth of 81 " at summit elevation and 26 " at the base. Therefore Schnalstal Glacier - Alpin Arena Senales is among the 10 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in Italy.
- Schnalstal Glacier - Alpin Arena Senales features 119 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Italy is 110 sunny days. March is the sunniest month with an average of 24 sunny days.