The Ski Resort
Even riding up the Schmittenhöhe with the gondola is a special experience. The Schmittenhöhenbahn is a design of the Porsche Design Studios. The 77 kilometers (47,8 miles) of well-groomed ski trails separate equally into blue, red and black marked trails. So you can´t really complain about too less choices for your ability!
The kids park at Glocknerwiese is a fun place for kids. Look for the magic carpet at the Areitbahn base station that takes the little ones right back up the mountain. The mascot Schmidolin even has its own fan club, the Junior Club. The membership is actually free of charge and includes a children newspaper that provides information about news and important events. Further, all Junior Club members get a ski day and kids Olympics for free and gift cards for Skiwasser (water and syrup) as well as invitations for club events.
Snowboarder and freeskier get their moneys worth in the terrain park Schmitten. You´ll get everything here what a freestyler´s heart desires: rails, fun boxes, kickers and spins. The absolute highlight is the longest fun slope in the world, right at the Hochmaisbahn. It features a length of 1300 meters (4265 feet) and tunnels, step turns, waves and jumps await risk-seekers of all levels. Get comfy in the chill area where you can actually watch the freeskiers and boarders.
Professionals should check out the famous downhill Trassabfahrt or hit the mogul slope in the training area. Those who want to take home a great vacation souvenir should definitely purchase a video of themselves speeding down the Sonnenalm ski movie run.
- Offering 48 miles of slopes and terrain, Schmitten - Zell am See is among the 10 largest Ski Resorts in Salzburg.
- Schmitten - Zell am See is among the 10 best rated Ski Resorts in Salzburg.
- The vertical drop from summit to base is 4078 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Austria is 2362 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long. The highest point of the track is 6562 ft above sea level.
- Average snow depth during the season is 45 " at summit elevation and 12 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during February, offering an average snow depth of 56 " at summit elevation and 18 " at the base. Therefore Schmitten - Zell am See is among the 10 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in Salzburg.
- Schmitten - Zell am See features 49 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Austria is 45 sunny days. February is the sunniest month with an average of 13 sunny days.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
The Apres-ski meeting point at Schmittenhöhe is ´Cabrio´ and is located right at the base station Areitbahn I. The panorama umbrella bar at top station Areitbahn III attracts with good music and drinks.
Don´t miss the legendary Trass slope. Follow for 4 kilometers (2,4 miles) and overcome a height difference of 900 meters (2952 feet) to Schmittental. It´s one of the most challenging and steepest trails in the province of Salzburg.
Tobogganing is a blast for the whole family! Between the ski resorts Schmittenhöhe and Kitzsteinhorn are several runs. The one that starts at Köhlergraben and passes Schmittental is lighted at night.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
Dining and Restaurants
Infrastructure & Rental
Coming from Vienna take B 227 and A 1 by passing St. Pölten to Salzburg. Continue on A 8 Reichenhall to Steinpass and via B 312 to Unken. After you have to continue on B 311 to Zell am See.
Coming from Munich take A 8 via the interchange Inntal to Traunstein. On the B 306 to the exit Siegsdorf and via Steinpaß B 312. Pass Unken and continue on B 311 in order to get to Zell am See.
Coming from Zürich take A 1 to Winterthur and after switch to A 14. Continue via Bludenz, Landeck Inntal freeway and Imst. From Innsbruck continue on B 312/E60 and take exit Wörgl. Pass Kitzbühel, Paß Thurn and Mittersill to reach Zell am See.
Coming from Milan, pass Brescia, Trient, Bozen and Sterzing Brenner freeway, Innsbruck Inntal freeway and exit in Wörgl. Continue via Kitzbühel, Paß Thurn, Mittersill to get to Zell am See.
You have access to the ski resort in Zell am See, Schüttdorf and Schmittental.