One of the many great things about the resort Oberwiesenthal Fichtelberg is its size! It is the largest ski resort in the Ore Mountains and provides everything necessary to have an amazing ski...
The Ski Resort
The ski resort at Fichtelberg in the Erzgebirge mountains is the biggest ski resort in Eastern Germany with 16 kilometers (10 miles) of accessible terrain. Winter athletes can choose between ten skiable trails on either big Fichtelberg (1.215m) or small Fichtelberg (1.206m).
The adventure starts in Oberwiesenthal where you can catch a ride with Germany´s oldest suspension railway to the top of Fichtelberg or you grab the chairlift to reach the top of the mountain. You can find most beginner trails at small Fichtelberg in the valley. The t-bars bring the ski newbies right back up the mountain. Young ski beginners love the kids park ´Fichtelchens Winterland´ close to the valley station of the suspension railway. It welcomes with a ski carousel, six magic carpets and a terrain park that includes easy obstacles.
For those looking for easy runs it´s best to ski down the blue forest runs (No. 9 and 10) at the top of Fichtelberg. Those runs take you right to the ski tow Himmelsleiterlift. Thanks to the parking lot at the base station it´s a perfect entrance to the ski resort and you have access to the small Fichtberg as well. From here you can head down the blue No. 2 that takes you through the forest and turns into a wide slope after. Perfect for carving! Then ride ski tow ´Kleinen Fichtelberg Kurvenlift´ to get up the small Fichtelberg and access even more red runs.
While the area does designate mostly beginner and intermediate runs, advanced skiers and riders are not without their runs. For example the black race slope at Schönjungferngrund is a good reason for experts to give this ski resort a shot. Follow for 1,2 km (0,74 miles) along the chairlift and suspension railway and overcome a height difference of 300 m (984 ft) for your ultimate personal challenge.
An additional attraction that speaks for Fichtelberg is night skiing. The main slope of Fichtelberg lights up until 9 pm every Friday and Saturday. A terrain park is located close to the suspension railway and welcomes visitors with a kicker line, wood line and a barrel rail combo.
In case you decide to stay longer than a day at Fichtelberg it makes sense to explore the runs that ski resort Klinovec in Czech Republic has to offer. It comes for free if you purchase a ski pass for longer than 1,5 days. The complimentary ski bus brings you over the border where 12 km (7,4 miles) of additional trails are awaiting you.
- Offering 10 miles of slopes and terrain, Oberwiesenthal Fichtelberg is the largest ski resort in Saxony.
- Oberwiesenthal Fichtelberg is among the 3 best rated Ski Resorts in Saxony.
- It is known to be the most family-friendly ski resort in Saxony.
- Elevated between 2989 ft and 3986 ft, the Ski Resort is the highest elevated Ski Resorts in Saxony. The vertical drop from summit to base is 997 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Germany is 699 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Snow coverage is usually best during February, offering an average snow depth of 29 " at summit elevation and 20 " at the base. This makes Oberwiesenthal Fichtelberg the ski resort with the best snow conditions in Saxony.
- Oberwiesenthal Fichtelberg features 29 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Germany is 27 sunny days. February is the sunniest month with an average of 13 sunny days.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
Advanced athletes can speed from the summit all the way to the valley.
Most Difficult Runs
Après-Ski and Nightlife
Dining and Restaurants
Infrastructure & Rental
Affiliate Ski SchoolsOffered Skiing Lessons Oberwiesenthal Fichtelberg
Take A4, A9, A13 or A72 direction Chemnitz. From there continue on B95 and pass Annaber-Buchholz to Oberwiesenthal.
The next station for long-distance trains is in Chemnitz. From there you have connection to Cranzahl where you can change trains to Oberwiesenthal with the Fichtelbergbahn.
The closest airports are Leipzig and Dresden.