- Offering 988 acres of slopes and terrain, Mt Dobson is among the 10 largest Ski Resorts in New Zealand.
- Mt Dobson is among the 10 best rated Ski Resorts in New Zealand.
- Elevated between 5659 ft and 6660 ft, the Ski Resort is among the 5 highest elevated Ski Resorts in New Zealand. The vertical drop from summit to base is 1001 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in New Zealand is 1545 ft.
- Season starts on Jul 3 and ends on Oct 4 (93 days). Average season duration in New Zealand is 84 days.
- Snow coverage is usually best during August, offering an average snow depth of 0 " at summit elevation and 0 " at the base. Therefore Mt Dobson is among the 10 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in New Zealand.
- Mt Dobson features 17 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in New Zealand is 19 sunny days. September is the sunniest month with an average of 7 sunny days.
The Ski Resort
Located about 2.5 hours from Christchurch and 3 hours from Queenstown, Mount Dobson is a ski resort in the South Island of New Zealand. With a 25/50/25 breakdown of beginner/intermediate/advanced slopes, the resort caters primarily at intermediate skiers.
Featuring a skiable area of over 400 acres, a vertical drop of 415m, and a a total lift capacity of 4,000 people per hour, Mt Dobson is famous as one of the most enjoyable skifields in NZ. No queues, lovely and wide, uncrowded runs make for skiing pleasure at its best. With 25% beginner terrain, Mt Dobson has good skiing and snowboarding for beginners.
Great Beginner Skiing
Boasting numerous on-mountain facilities such as a cosy café, equipment and clothing rental and a snow school, there is nothing to miss out on when on the slopes. With one of the largest beginners' areas in the country and due to its wide open slopes, Mt Dobson is a perfect place to learn to ski or ride. The local snow school offers private lessons for all abilities and group lessons for ski newbies.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
Infrastructure & Rental
Mt Dobson lies on State Highway 8 between Christchurch and Queenstown. The alpine road starts 11km west of Fairlie and 18km east from Lake Tekapo. The 40 min drive uo the mountain on an alpine road wide enough for two vehicles to easily pass boasts plenty of places to stop. Make sure to carry snow chains at all times when coming to Mt Dobson.