Coronavirus / Covid-19 Measures
- Masks mandatory in all lifts and ski buses
- Visitor management in waiting areas (keep your distance)
- Masks mandatory at restaurants, ski rental and shops
- Daily disinfection measures
The Ski Resort
At the Sonnberglift in Gries you can try your first attempts on skis in a relaxed atmosphere. An additional magic carpet is available to all visitors free of charge. On the benches next to the piste you can watch the little ones skiing or simply enjoy the sun and mountain air with a view of the Stubai Alps. If that's too quiet for you, you can rent the lift on Fridays and Saturdays from 5 pm including staff and mulled wine cooker and have your own snow party.
- The vertical drop from summit to base is 295 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Austria is 2359 ft. Runs and slopes are therefore relatively short. The high point of the ski resort is located at an elevation of 4183 ft.
- The day pass at Gries in the Sellrain - Sonnenberglift is €14 making it one of the 10 cheapest ski Resorts in Austria.
- Gries in the Sellrain - Sonnenberglift features 40 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Austria is 33 sunny days. February is the sunniest month with an average of 22 sunny days. This makes the ski resort one of the 5 sunniest in Tyrol.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
The Alpengasthof Grieserhof is located not far from the valley station of the Sonnenberglift and offers Tyrolean specialities as well as international cuisine. You can also enjoy homemade cakes on the sun terrace.
Every Saturday, as well as on Tuesdays during the Christmas and semester holidays, the piste is floodlit from 19 to 21 hrs.
The mountaineering village offers numerous possibilities to explore the beautiful natural landscape. Alpine and high alpine ski tours from 600 to well over 3,000 metres can be combined with stays of several days in the open alpine club huts. A special experience are ski crossings, for example into the neighbouring Ötztal.
Not far from Gries there are two natural toboggan runs to discover. The starting point of the Juifenalm toboggan run is the car park of the same name, located a few metres from the village of Juifenau near Gries. From there you can reach the Juifenalm after about one and a half hours walking time and after a refreshment in the hut you can take the toboggan back to the valley.
The starting point for the Neder toboggan run is behind the fire station in Gries. After an approx. half-hour ascent, one and a half kilometres of tobogganing are available.
The circular track illuminated daily until 10 p.m. in Gries is suitable for both classic and diagonal cross-country skiing. It is one kilometre long and is located directly in the village. Austria's highest winter sports resort, Kühtai, is only a few minutes' drive away. At an altitude of over 2,000 meters, 41 kilometers of slopes are waiting to be explored.
Infrastructure & Rental
Affiliate ShopsSki Rentals Gries in the Sellrain - Sonnenberglift (2)
Gries im Sellrain is only 25 minutes away from Innsbruck, the capital of Tyrol.
Coming from Munich you reach Gries im Sellrain via the A 12 direction Innsbruck. In Innsbruck you drive towards Arlberg and take the exit Kematen. From there it is still ten kilometres to Gries im Sellrain. Cars can be parked free of charge directly at the lift.
From Innsbruck main station the bus with the line number 4166 runs free of charge to Gries im Sellrain.