- The vertical drop from summit to base is 817 m. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Austria is 735 m. The highest point of the track is 1,567 m above sea level.
- Gaissau Hintersee is among the 10 best rated Ski Resorts in Salzburg.
- It is among the 10 most family-friendly ski Resorts in Salzburg.
- Season starts on 16 Dec and ends on 31 Mar (105 days). Average season duration in Austria is 117 days.
- Average snow depth during the season (16 Dec to 31 Mar) is 90 cm at summit elevation and 33 cm at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during August, offering an average snow depth of 150 cm at summit elevation and 30 cm at the base.
- Gaissau Hintersee features 41 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Austria is 37 sunny days. March is the sunniest month with an average of 14 sunny days.
- There are special senior prices as well as an extra tariff for practice slopes. You can also get single-ride tickets and other flexible passes.
- A real highlight for families is the “Family Bonus”. The second child only pays 50% of the original ticket price. The third child and any child up to the age of 6 can ski the resort for free! Seasonal tickets and flexible passes are not included in this offer. Proof of family identity must be provided.
The Ski Resort
The combined resort Gaissau-Hintersee is located close to the Austrian city of Salzburg, where the legendary Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born. With its 40 kilometres (24.9 mi) of runs, the resort is especially popular among families with children, beginners and recreational skiers. 50% of the terrain is marked as easy, while 19 kilometres (11.8 mi) are designated for intermediate skiers. The one remaining kilometer (0.6 mi) is a black-marked mogul slope and only intended for the experts among you. All in all, there are a total of nine lifts for carrying winter sports enthusiasts up the mountain. The resort nestles in the picturesque scenery of the Osterhorngruppe (Salzkammergut Mountains).
The resort provides two children's parks at the Spielbergalm and the Anzenbergalm. Accompanied by local ski school teams, little ones can learn skiing fast and with lots of fun along the way. With the help of wavy tracks, adventure runs, curvy routes and funny-looking sculptures, newcomers and beginners will have a great time honing their skiing skills. A special children's lift takes kids comfortably and easily up the mountain.
The freeski and boarder park Gaissau gives freestyle fans and snowboarders loads of options for learning and performing different stunts and tricks. Whether you are a beginner or a pro, the park has a perfect set up of kickers, boxes and rails as well as some special features.
For those of you who enjoy ski touring, the resort also has a couple of excursion trails to explore as well.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
Ten rustic and cosy mountain huts attract winter sports enthusiasts to enjoy relaxing breaks between runs. At the top station of the double chair lift, the Spielbergalm boasts a large sun terrace for catching some rays. Specialties include meatballs and gigantic pizzas. At the mountain restaurant Schmittenstüberl at the Kurvenlift you can enjoy typical, tasty Austrian cuisine. The menu at the Anzenbergalm serves dishes like hot Kaspressknödel soup (dumplings made from cheese and bread) as well as spare ribs with coleslaw and dumplings. The mountain hut Latschneralm treats its guests with carefully prepared high-quality dishes such as the famous Kasnock'n (cheese noodles) and Topfenstrudel (pastry filled with cream cheese). At the Lechner Hütte you can enjoy mouthwatering, regional dishes while appreciating an unbelievable panoramic views. The Weissenberghütte restaurant serves scrumptious local cuisine as well. The two mountain huts Schirla Stub’m and Schi-Rast Hintersee provide hearty farmer's meals and exquisite traditional cooking.
One of the most delightful and popular slopes in the resort is the blue-marked run down into the valley in Gaissach. It is an enjoyable, long slope that even beginners can master. The run has a number of different variations, so make sure to try them all!
The area surrounding the resort is ideal for cross-country skiing. On different cross-country skiing trails, winter sports enthusiasts can experience nature in both the classic or skating style. A highlight for young and old is a ride down the resort's toboggan run. Grab a sledge and speed down the mountain back into the valley. Fun and action awaits at the snowtubing track, which is floodlit after dark on the weekends. It doesn't matter how you get down the mountain, on your back, stomach, lying down, sitting up or spinning around – fun is guaranteed with this attraction. If you choose to participate in a winter or snow shoe hike, get ready to experience the beauty and tranquility of the magical landscape around the resort and to breathe in the fresh, revitalizing mountain air.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
As this is first and foremost a family resort, the après-ski atmosphere is rather restrained and low-key. If you do want to round out your ski day with some drinks and music, head over to InTreff close to the base station in Gaissau.
Infrastructure & Rental
From nearby Salzburg, skiers can either take the Tauernautobahn or the L107 to the ski resort. Once you reach the Wiestalstausee reservoir, turn onto the L209 (Krispler Landesstraße), which leads directly to the base station. If you're coming from the southern town of Spittal an der Drau, take the Tauernautobahn highway until you reach the Hallein exit. Via the L107 you'll reach the Wiestalstausee reservoir. From there take the L209 which leads straight to the resort.
By public transport:
Guests travelling from further afield can reach the ski resort by flying to the airport in Salzburg. The airport is about 34 kilometres (21 mi) away from the resort. The closest train station is located in Hallein, some 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) away. Skiers can also take a free shuttle bus from Fuschl, Hallein and Salzburg main stations directly to the resort.