- Offering 115 miles of slopes and terrain, La Fôret Blanche (Vars - Risoul) is among the 10 largest Ski Resorts in France.
- La Fôret Blanche (Vars - Risoul) is among the 3 best rated Ski Resorts in Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur.
- It is among the 5 most family-friendly ski Resorts in Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur.
- Elevated between 5413 ft and 9022 ft, the Ski Resort is among the 3 highest elevated Ski Resorts in Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur. The vertical drop from summit to base is 3609 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in France is 2638 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Season starts on Dec 7 and ends on Apr 19 (134 days). Average season duration in France is 112 days.
- Average snow depth during the season (Dec 7 to Apr 19) is 79 " at summit elevation and 30 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during February, offering an average snow depth of 84 " at summit elevation and 31 " at the base. Therefore La Fôret Blanche (Vars - Risoul) is among the 15 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in France.
- La Fôret Blanche (Vars - Risoul) features 98 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in France is 75 sunny days. January is the sunniest month with an average of 25 sunny days. This makes the ski resort one of the 15 sunniest in France.
The Ski Resort
La Forêt Blanche ski resort features 185 kilometres (115 miles) of slopes around the towns of Risoul 1850, Vars Sainte Marie, and Vars Les Claux. About 50 lifts get winter sports enthusiasts up the mountain. With almost 70 easy or very easy runs, the resort is particularly well suited to beginners and families. Children can try out their first moves on skis at the beginners' area free of charge.
However, intermediate and athletic skiers will also get their money's worth here. The speed track of almost one mile gives downhill experts an opportunity to show off their ability. With a whopping 254.958 km/h, the world record in speed skiing was set here in 2016.
Freestyle fans also find a great deal of variety, as there are seven terrain parks featuring a total of 50 obstacles. Novices should check out Kid Park and Girly Park, which owes its name to its pink obstacles. If you have some experience under your belt, you can find numerous jibs, rails, and jumps as well as a big airbag at L'Eyssina. Experts will enjoy Totem Park by Sibières chair lift. Elements made of wood and stone turn your freestyle ride into a Wild West experience. Additionally, there are two boardercross trails.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
The ski resort's location makes for excellent snow safety. More than 80 percent of the slopes are situated higher than 2000 metres (6562 ft) above sea level. Furthermore, artificial snowmaking covers more than half of the slopes.
The two natural toboggan runs as well as Luge Déval rail toboggan are fun for the entire family. Outside of French school holiday period, toboggan night takes place every Tuesday. Use this opportunity to sled down the 2 km (1.2 miles) slope. During the holidays, toboggan night takes place on Mondays and Fridays.
Cross-country skiers will find 17 kilometres (10.6 miles) of tracks. The various activities available in Vars and Risoul also include dog-sled rides, ice skating, paragliding, and winter hiking.
Infrastructure & Rental
La Fôret Blanche is located approximately 160 km (99 miles) south-east of Grenoble. From there, take D1091 to Briançon. Then you follow N94 southbound until you get to Mont-Dauphin. Turn left to Risoul, and follow the serpentines of D186 up to Risoul 1850. If you want to access the resort through Vars, turn onto D902 from Mont-Dauphin, which will take you straight to Vars Sainte-Marie and Vars Les Claux.