- Offering 52 miles of slopes and terrain, Damüls Mellau is among the 5 largest Ski Resorts in Vorarlberg.
- Damüls Mellau is among the 3 best rated Ski Resorts in Vorarlberg.
- It is among the 5 most family-friendly ski Resorts in Vorarlberg.
- The vertical drop from summit to base is 4298 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Austria is 2382 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long. The high point of the ski resort is located at an elevation of 6627 ft.
- Season starts on Dec 7 and ends on Apr 13 (128 days). Average season duration in Austria is 114 days.
- Average snow depth during the season (Dec 7 to Apr 13) is 67 " at summit elevation and 50 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during March, offering an average snow depth of 79 " at summit elevation and 61 " at the base. Therefore Damüls Mellau is among the 10 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in Vorarlberg.
- Damüls Mellau features 56 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Austria is 55 sunny days. February is the sunniest month with an average of 18 sunny days.
Winter season 2018/19:
- The old double chairlift Oberdamüls is replaced by a modern 6-seater chairlift. The new track is equipped with upholstered armchairs, seat heating and weather protection hoods. More info...
- The replacement of the old 2 chairlift "High Light" is also planned for the next few years.
The Ski Resort
The ski area around the villages Damüls and Mellau is in the middle of the Bregenzerwald in the Austrian Vorarlberg. Since the merger of the mountain railways, the area offers more than 90 km of pistes and is thus the largest ski area in the Bregenzerwald. If you take the ski bus connected skiing area Faschina Fontanella, there are even 109 kilometres of slopes. The skiing area has the nickname "snow area" for a reason: A total of 9.30 metres of snow fall here on average per winter. You can enter the ski area in Mellau as well as in several places in Damüls.
Mellau - slopes for every taste
From Mellau you get directly into skiing pleasure with the new Mellaubahn, a 10-person gondola. Here you will find the right slope for every taste. Experts are in good hands below the Wildgunten (1705 m), as there are several black marked pistes, a speed track, a 150 meter long ski tunnel and the Hochegg Mellau ski route. From here you can also enjoy the extra long descent to Mellau. Beginners do not have to stay at the practice lift at the valley station, because there are many easier slopes in the Mellau area, which are also easy for them to master for small non-skiers there is a guest kindergarten at the mountain station of the Mellaubahn.
Damüls - perfect for adventurers
With the Gipfelbahn you get to Damüls, the perfect area for adventurers. Not only the biggest Snowpark is located here in the Bregenzerwald with 9 different lines and more than 45 features. It climbs high up to the summit Hohes Licht (2009 m) or Ragazer Blanken (2051 m). From up there you can enjoy the great view of the Bregenzerwald, for example on the red marked Hochblanken descent or the blue marked Hohes Licht descent. There are also some ski routes, like for example the Sunnegg Steilhang Route or the Hasenbühel Route. Beginners will find several practice lifts in the valley area as well as the Bunny practice area for kids.
Tour through the ski area
All highlights of Damüls-Mellau can be discovered very well with the help of the new circle tour. Among other things you will pass the speed track at Hohe Licht, the All-Mountain-Line including Kids Park, great viewpoints, the FIS Ski Museum and the Photopoint Sunnegg. Further information and corresponding folders with time information can be found at all ski pass ticket offices.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
There are several restaurants and mountain huts in the entire ski area, which tempt with tasty dishes from the region. Sun worshippers can make themselves comfortable on the terrace of the mountain restaurant Sunnegg. Deck chairs are available here free of charge. Sun worshippers also feel at home on the Uga-Alp at the foot of the Mittagspitze, because here is one of the largest sun terraces in Europe! The restaurant Simma at the top station of the Mellaubahn offers a romantic hut atmosphere.
One of the highlights of the ski resort is the valley descent to Mellau. The extra long slope is marked in red. This also applies to ski route no. 8, which is the longest slope in the ski area. It is also prepared during the winter season and offers a fantastic panoramic view of the surrounding mountains. In addition, you should not miss the ride through one of the two ski tunnels.
Most Difficult Runs
From the end of December to the beginning of March, night skiing is possible every Thursday in Faschina. From 18.00 to 21.00 the ski run at the Guggernülli drag lift is illuminated. With a valid ski pass night skiing is free.
Snowshoe and winter hikes are the perfect opportunity to explore the beautiful nature of the rainforest. If you don't want to be too physically demanding, choose a horse-drawn sleigh ride and if you like it fast, enjoy a toboggan run on the toboggan runs in Damüls and Mellau.
Who would like to learn more about the ski history of Vorarlberg after a day's skiing can slide with the boards directly to the front door of the Skimuseum Damüls. On the initiative of the former sports goods dealer Christian Lingenhöle, the museum worth seeing in the Pfarrhof backdrop was created in 2013.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
Whoever is looking for après-ski possibilities in the Bregenzerwald will not be disappointed. Directly at the ski slope, for example, Heike's Schirmbar or the He-Ho hut are the venue for celebrations. By the way: In the He-Ho hut you shouldn't miss the homemade mulled wine. Of course, at the valley stations you can party even after the end of the lift and in the many bars in the villages the night is turned into day. The night express runs between Damüls, Faschina and Sonntag and brings everyone home safely.
Dining and Restaurants
When you are on holiday, you should let yourself go really well and culinary delicacies should of course not be missing. The culinary delights of the Hotel Sonne in Mellau are luxurious. The restaurant may call 14 Gault Millau points its own. The Adler Village Inn is a cosy place to be. Here you will find classic Austrian cuisine and seasonal highlights. The Gasthof Adler in Damüls is both fine and bourgeois.
Infrastructure & Rental
By car you can reach Damüls and Mellau via the motorways Stuttgart - Ulm - Lindau or Munich - Memmingen - Lindau. Via Bregenz and Au you finally reach Damüls.
The nearest train station is in Bludenz. From here there are regular regional buses to all parts of the ski resort.