Coronavirus / Covid-19 Measures
- Masks mandatory in all lifts and ski buses
- Visitor management in waiting areas (keep your distance)
- Lift tickets available online
- Masks mandatory at restaurants, ski rental and shops
The Ski Resort
Borovets is the largest and oldest ski resort in Bulgaria and is located directly at the foot of the 2925 meter high Musala, which is the highest peak in the Balkans. The ski area is only about 70 kilometres from Sofia and therefore easy to reach.
Borovets convinces with its unique mountain scenery and varied pistes. In total there are 58 km of slopes to explore and Borovets has already hosted the Alpine World Cup twice. The ski area is divided into three areas: Sitnyakovo ski center, Yastrebetz ski center and Markudjik ski center.
Beginners are best off at the Sitnyakovo ski center. There are some shorter practice lifts near the valley. In addition, there are only very easy (green) to easy (blue) pistes here. Especially the long Sitnyakovo Royal Residence ski run, which winds through the forest, is perfect for beginners and families. The blue marked track Musala Pathway leads back into the valley. The Borovets Kids Park is also located here.
The Yastrebetz gondola takes you comfortably to the Markudjik ski center, where some shorter slopes are waiting for all levels. Due to the altitude of up to 2,550 metres, this area is particularly snow-sure. From here you also have access to the Yastrebetz Ski Center. Advanced skiers will find great slopes here, such as the red marked slopes Yastrebetz 1 and Papangelov. Directly on the Papangelov run there is also the 300 meter long Borosport Snow Park. The slope style course offers a lot of features, from jumps and rails to boxes and a big air bag.
- Offering 36 miles of slopes and terrain, Borovets is among the 3 largest Ski Resorts in Bulgaria.
- Borovets is among the 3 best rated Ski Resorts in Bulgaria.
- Elevated between 4265 ft and 8399 ft, the Ski Resort is among the 3 highest elevated Ski Resorts in Bulgaria. The vertical drop from summit to base is 4134 ft. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Bulgaria is 3084 ft. Most runs are therefore relatively long.
- Average snow depth during the season is 69 " at summit elevation and 55 " at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during February, offering an average snow depth of 74 " at summit elevation and 60 " at the base. Therefore Borovets is among the 3 ski Resorts with best snow conditions in Bulgaria.
- Borovets features 55 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Bulgaria is 55 sunny days. February is the sunniest month with an average of 19 sunny days. This makes the ski resort one of the 3 sunniest in Bulgaria.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
There are no huts on the mountain to stop for refreshments, as you know it from the alpine skiing areas. In the centre of Borovets, however, you will find numerous restaurants and snack bars.
Borovets is the perfect starting point for winter walks and snowshoe hikes. The backdrop of the Rila Mountains offers a unique backdrop. If you want to relax, you can enjoy the numerous luxury offers of the hotels of the spa resort.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
In Borovets there are many possibilities to go out. One of the most popular clubs is the Buzz Club. In addition, the Revolution Après Ski Bar, which is designed in British style, invites you to have a nightcap or two.
Dining and Restaurants
With the car
Via Graz, Maribor and Belgrade, take the E70 towards Belgrade and then follow the E75 to Sofia. On the E871 you bypass the big city and take road no 82 to Borovets.