Just about a 20 minute drive away of Bad Reichenhall, and thus conveniently situated for German day-trippers, one of Austria’s most family-friendly ski resorts calls...
- The vertical drop from summit to base is 1,117 m. The average difference in altitude between base and summit of Ski Resorts in Austria is 721 m. Most runs are therefore relatively long. The ski resort takes you to an elevation of 1,747 m.
- It is among the 10 most family-friendly ski Resorts in Austria.
- Season starts on 2 Dec and ends on 6 Apr (125 days). Average season duration in Austria is 118 days.
- Average snow depth during the season (2 Dec to 6 Apr) is 83 cm at summit elevation and 32 cm at base elevation. Snow coverage is usually best during February, offering an average snow depth of 102 cm at summit elevation and 52 cm at the base.
- Almenwelt Lofer features 57 sunny days on average per season. The average for all ski Resorts in Austria is 61 sunny days. December is the sunniest month with an average of 24 sunny days.
- New large water reservoir for greater snow reliability
- New restaurant "Kechtalm" on Schwarzeck
- Childproof 8-seater chairlift Schwarzeck
- Free use of magic carpet, that runs with a photovoltaic system
- Kids up to 15 years ski for free every Saturday if accompanied by the parents
- Students receive a 30% reduction every Saturday
The Ski Resort
Almenwelt Lofer, idyllic situated in Salzburg´s Saalachtal is well-known among families. The ski resort comprises a total of 46 km (28,5 miles) of trails. 32 km (20 miles) of it are categorized blue. Easy to say it is ideally suited for families with young children. Right next to the base station you find a short training lift totally free of charge. Beginners don´t have to be worried that they are without runs because the Almbahn gondola brings them to the kids park at the middle station and to Loderbichl training lift. The mascots of the local ski schools, Bobo and Lofino, help youngsters to feel safe while their first attempts on trails. The resort is great if you ski blue trails. Many long slopes are blues like the family slope ´Grubhörndl´ (No.3) and ´Autobahn´ (No.5).
Even intermediate skiers and snowboarders are going to enjoy these trails. There are some amazing red runs here. Don´t miss to ski the black trail ´Hochwena´, serviced by the lift ´Grubhörndl´ if you count yourself among the best skiers. Please only ski it if you bring enough experience. For an other black trail grab the t-bar lift ´Postalmlift´. The courageous guests can test the off-pistes, including the fantastic deep snow.
Skialm Lofer provides two terrain parks for Freestylers at Schwarzeck and another one along ´Family Express´, Lofi Snowpark and Lofi Funcross.The Lofi snow park includes a funcross line. You will find easy to more difficult features, so actually even kids can practice and perfect their tricks.
Snow Safety & Snowmaking
On Mountain Dining
Loferer Alm welcomes you with a wide variety of dining and restaurant options that cater to your appetite. Many restaurants are located on top of Loferer Alm: ´Gasthaus Soderkaser´ or ´Schönblick´. Since 1932 you can stop and get amazing hearty meals at the charming hut ´Haus Gertraud in der Sonne´. And new this year: The ´Kechtalm´ at Schwarzeck or the Apres Skibar "Kuhbar" along Schwarzeck. On your way down to the valley, situated at the middlestation you will find ´Hasenstall´ and restaurant ´Loferbichl´ or for a quick snack you will love the lodge ´Jausenstation Faistau´ at the valley station.
Most Difficult Runs
Apart from great trails, there is a diverse range of activities at Salzburger Saalachtal and Lofer! Experience the circular route through the dreamy winter landscape of the ´Hochalm´, starting at the base station of ´Almbahn II´. You choose if you prefer the route that is 1,5 km (0,9 miles) or 4 km (2,5 miles) long. Along the way you will find 4 mountain huts that invite you for a break.
If you like snowshoe hiking use the chance to go far away from marked paths. Guided tours invite you to dive into a whole different world of snow, ice and sunshine. Get more information at ski school ´Herbst´.
You want to try something totally different? Test snow kiting! The ski resorts even provides a very own snow kiting school. Use the power of the wind to let yourself being pulled on the snow and those who are brave enough can try their first jumps.
Après-Ski and Nightlife
Alp world Lofer has a good selection of apres-ski bars to offer. The ´Kuh bar´ at Schwarzeck is perfect for all guests who prefer a half day on the trails and like to start partying right after lunch. More highlights at Skialm Lofer are ´Karussell´ at the base station and ´Hasenstall´ at Lärchgrabenabfahrt slope.
Dining and Restaurants
´Knappenstadl´ in Lofer doesn´t just give you a comfortable environment in all of the three guest areas but also a magnificent view of Lofer and the surrounding Lofer mountains. Game specialties can be found at the ´Knappenstadl´. The Alpine Inn ´Heutal´ in Unken serves fine traditional food and even the bread is homemade. It takes pride in its ´Heutalwirt house-beer´, so don´t forget to give it a shot. There is something for everyone at the restaurant ´Hochmoss´ in St. Martin with its local and international cuisine. This is also a great place to go for vegetarians and people with allergies.
Infrastructure & Rental
Ski Rental Shops
Take A8 Munich towards Salzburg and exit at Siegsdorf