The Cross-Country Area
The cross-country skiing centre Neue Ausspanne in the Thuringian Forest stretches from Tambach-Dietharz towards Oberhof and Brotterode-Trusetal. Cross-country skiers will find around 40 kilometres of cross-country trails here, all of which are prepared for the classic style. Skating is possible on the beginners cross-country ski run in Tambach-Dietharz. The cross-country skiing area also includes two stages of the Rennsteig.
The Most Beautiful Tracks
- Beginner track Tambach: 2,6 km - light - classic/Skating
- Bergsee trail: 8,4 km - easy - classic
- Schmalkalder Stieg (uphill/downhill): each 2,8 km - medium - classic
- Nesselberg: 6,9 km - medium - classic
- Rennsteig Stage 4 Possenröder Kreuz-Neue Ausspanne: 7,2 km - medium - classic
- Rennsteig Stage 5 Neue Ausspanne-Wachsenrasen: 9,8 km - medium - classic
- The cross-Country skiing area takes you to an elevation of 2493 ft.
- Snow coverage is usually best during January, offering an average snow depth of 8 " at summit elevation and 4 " at the base.
Tambach-Dietharz is located between Gotha and Suhl near Georgenthal. You can park at the Kurpark Tambach and at the dam. There are also good parking facilities at the Rennsteighaus Neue Ausspanne to access the cross-country ski runs.